large paper grocery bag, cut open along
seams OR large piece of paper at least 17" by 36"
heavy tape (3/4" masking or strapping tape)
To make a moccasin pattern:
1. Take off your shoes. Stand on the lower left side of the cut open
grocery bag or piece of paper. Set your heel 1 and 1/4" from the edge of the paper. Holding the pencil straight, trace around
your left foot.
Mark 1/2" from the end of your big toe.
3. Mark 1/4" on each side of your foot at the widest part. Mark the left
side A and the right side B.
4. Connect the three marks you just made with a curving line.
5. Mark 1 and 1/4" from the end of your heel and draw a straight line.
Mark the line
6. Draw a straight line connecting A to the heel line.
7. Draw a dotted line connecting B to the heel line.
8. Fold the pattern in half along the dotted line, pencil side up, and
cut along the outer line. This piece will form both the top and bottom of the moccasin.
9. Unfold the pattern so the pencil side is up. The pattern should look
like two feet side by side. Draw a dotted line connecting A and B and continuing across both feet.
10. On the right side of the pattern, draw a line down the center of
the foot. Draw and cut two lines about 2" apart from the heel line to the A-B line. Cut off about two-thirds of the flap, leaving a tongue.
On the left foot, draw and cut two lines about 1 and 1/2" apart from the heel line to the outline of your foot to make a heel
12. To make a pattern for your right foot, trace and cut out the left
foot pattern again.
If you want to save the pattern to make more moccasins, cut out two more copies of the pattern and follow
the finishing instructions below. Otherwise, you can finish the two patterns you just made.
To finish a moccasin:
13. Add heavy tape reinforcement around the foot opening. Tape across
the dotted line where the tongue folds.
14. Fold the pattern along the center dotted line with the pencil marks
and tape towards the inside and the tongue on top.
At this point you can decorate the top of the moccasin and fringe
the tongue if you like.
15. Tape the outside edges of the moccasin, from the toe curve to the heel line. Overlap short
pieces of tape to go around the curves.
16. Fold the tongue over the toe.
17. Insert your foot into the moccasin. Wrap the sides of the moccasin
around your heel and tape in place so your foot JUST slides in and out.
18. Fold the heel tab up and tape in place.
Cuffs: Measure from the tongue around your heel and back.
Cut a cuff the same length and about 1 and 1/2" wide. Fringe or decorate if you like. Tape in place.
Note: In a traditional moccasin, the heel measurement is only 3/4" and
the tongue is folded higher on the arch if the moccasin is to be made of leather. Extra room for the foot opening is added
to this pattern because paper does not stretch. A leather moccasin also has a lace passed through holes in the area around
the foot opening, and tied under the tongue.
To make real moccasins, transfer
the patterns to suede or other leather and cut out. Then glue and sew the moccasins
together using artificial sinew or heavy braided fishing line.